World’s Best Workforce Targets Rolled Out to School Staff
March 1, 2016
Northfield Promise and the Northfield Public Schools teamed up this winter to help increase awareness among school district staff about the World’s Best Workforce legislation, the targets that have been set for Northfield by the Minnesota Department of Education, and the resources available from Northfield Promise (and the wider community) to help the schools reach these goals.
An introductory video was created to help provide general information on the World’s Best Workforce. District administrators and Northfield Promise staff have visited every school building’s staff meeting to show the video and answer staff members’ questions about World’s Best Workforce and Northfield Promise. These visits also provided the opportunity for staff to share valuable recommendations on additional community supports that could help in meeting these targets.
The Northfield Public Schools’ targets outlined in the World’s Best Workforce include:
- Ensuring that at least 75% of incoming kindergarteners continue to be ready for K
- 3% annual increase in the percentage of 3rd graders proficient in reading
- 9% annual increase in the percentage of 8th graders proficient in reading and 6% increase in math
- Narrowing of the achievement gaps among Northfield’s low-income, Latino, and English learning students by 6% annually in reading and 3% in math
- Maintaining at least a 90% high school graduation rate
The targets set by the World’s Best Workforce are ambitious. However, with the unwavering commitment of the school district to this work – and buoyed by the full support of the Northfield community – they can be achieved!